Wednesday, March 28, 2012

LOOPING UPDATE

Hi
I just require a bit of guidance on a SQL query I am writing. I am updating
a table with values, and the first field is a TYPE field, I set this to A
and then populate fields 2-15 with a variety of default updates and values
from other tables, I then do a second insert whreeby I set the same TYPE
field to B and update fields 2-5 and then the unique fields 16-20.
At the moment my second update has two issues;
1. It sets EVERY type to B (although it correctly doubles the amount of
entries in the table)
2. The B entries are appended to the bottom of the table, ideally I want the
table structure to be ABABABAB etc
Any help to a SQL newbie appreciated!> 1. It sets EVERY type to B (although it correctly doubles the amount of
> entries in the table)
Sounds like your WHERE clause may be at fault. Could you post a CREATE TABLE
statement and the UPDATE/INSERT statements so that we can reproduce your
problem.
> 2. The B entries are appended to the bottom of the table, ideally I want
the
> table structure to be ABABABAB etc
Tables have no logical ordering. If you want to see the results in a
particular order then use ORDER BY on a SELECT statement when you query the
table. A clustered index orders data in physical storage but not necessarily
when you query the table.
--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||Hi David
I have rewritten the part of the routine with a separate WHERE clause on the
type field at the end of the update and this seems to work so thank you.
I have several more loops to write, I will then try the Order by at the end
of the routine.
Thank you very very much for your quick and informative response, it really
is appreciated.
Steve
"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@.acm.org> wrote in message
news:8ZKdncKsYuPgDrHdRVn-uA@.giganews.com...
> > 1. It sets EVERY type to B (although it correctly doubles the amount of
> > entries in the table)
> Sounds like your WHERE clause may be at fault. Could you post a CREATE
TABLE
> statement and the UPDATE/INSERT statements so that we can reproduce your
> problem.
> > 2. The B entries are appended to the bottom of the table, ideally I want
> the
> > table structure to be ABABABAB etc
> Tables have no logical ordering. If you want to see the results in a
> particular order then use ORDER BY on a SELECT statement when you query
the
> table. A clustered index orders data in physical storage but not
necessarily
> when you query the table.
> --
> David Portas
> SQL Server MVP
> --
>

No comments:

Post a Comment