Monday, March 26, 2012

Looping through stored procedure inside another stored procedure and displaying the catego

I used to do this with classic asp but I'm not sure how to do it with .net.

Basically I would take a table of Categories, Then I would loop through those. Within each loop I would call another stored procedure to get each item in that Category.

I'll try to explain, Lets say category 2 has a player Reggie Bush and a player Drew Brees, and category 5 has Michael Vick, but the other categories have no items.

Just for an example..

Category Table:

ID Category
1 Saints
2 Falcons
3 Bucaneers
4 Chargers
5 Falcons

Player Table:

ID CategoryID Player News Player Last Updated
1 1 Reggie Bush Poetry in motion 9/21/2006
2 1 Drew Brees What shoulder injury? 9/18/2006
3 5 Michael Vick Break a leg, seriously. 9/20/2006

Basically I would need to display on a page:

Saints
Reggie Bush
Poetry in Motion

Falcons
Michael Vick
Break a leg, seriously.

So that the Drew Brees update doesnt display, only the Reggie Bush one, which is the latest.

I have my stored procedures put together to do this. I just don't know how to loop through and display it on a page. Right now I have two datareaders in the code behind but ideally something like this, I would think the code would go on the page itself, around the html.

try building a query with sub-queries based on a join within the store procedure. test it in the query manager first then before making it a SP

No comments:

Post a Comment