Friday, March 30, 2012

Losing dimension permissions in security role with deployment wizard

I'm working with an AS database that has security roles configured with dimension and dimension data permissions. If I deploy my BI project using Deployment Wizard with the option to Retain roles and members, the roles and members do remain intact but the cube access in the roles is set to None and the dimension and data dimension permissions are gone.

Is there any way to use Deployment Wizard so that it retains the roles, members and the cube/dimension permissions defined for the role? I don't want to deploy roles and retain members because my roles will be different depending on the target server.

Thanks in advance.

This seems to be the same bug as described in Chris Webb's blog today:

http://cwebbbi.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!7B84B0F2C239489A!978.entry

>>

Deployment Wizard Bug

The Deployment Wizard is meant to allow you to deploy a project from BIDS but not overwrite certain parts of the associated Analysis Services database. Examples of things you’d not want to overwrite on the server include partitions, connection strings and security settings. However once I started actually using this functionality with my customers over the last few months I came across (or rather was informed of by one of said customers and was able to repro with others) a pretty major bug: when you select the ‘Retain Roles and Members’ option to not overwrite any of the security roles, while it does indeed not overwrite any of the roles it sets cube access in all of them to None and this in turn loses all the dimension security settings defined on the roles. So, be warned… it’s with PSS at the moment but I’m told it probably won’t be fixed in SP2.

>>

|||Yes, I am probably one of the customers Chris references in his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment